Thanks to everyone for their interest, but the farm has now been sold.
The farm is now for sale at a reduced price of $5000, or $4000 without the solar panel.
There are no fry or fingerlings currently available. There are approximately 100 Tilapia, 30 breed stock (2lbs and up), and 70 smaller size (1/2 to 1.5lb).
See below for photos and a detailed list of the inventory of the farm for sale.
All mature fish stock have been sold to an aquaponic greenhouse operation in Central Canada.
The remaining fish stock includes three mature brood fish (3 – 6 lbs), 30+ juveniles (1/2 – 3/4 lbs), and 200 fingerlings (2 – 4″).
New Price: $7, 200 for all fish and farm equipment listed below under Inventory.
If you’re only looking for fingerlings, 100 are available for sale, and available for pick up in Windermere, BC.
Inventory of the farm for sale
Overall size of the fish farm
- Fits 140 square foot area
- 1 x 400 gallon stainless steel tank (5′ diameter) – staged grow out brood habitat
- 1 x 200 gallon insulated fiberglass tank (4′ diameter) – staged grow out brood habitat
- 1 x 100 gallon fiberglass wood tank (2′ x 2′ x 4′) – staged grow out brood habitat
- 1 x 70 gallon glass aquarium and stand – breeding tank
- 2 x 20 gallon glass aquarium – isolation and transfer tanks
- 1 x 200 gallon insulated transfer tote (4′ x 4′ x 3′) – overflow tank
- 1 x 250 gallon temporary storage tank
- 1 x 45 gallon make-up water tank
- 1 x 30 gallon distribution tank
- 1000 W small backup gas generator
- 400 W inverter for backup power
- 27 evacuated tube hot water solar collector
- 1 x (5′ x 2.5′ x 3′) insulated sump
- 1 x (2.5’x4′) sedimentation filter
- 3 x 10 gallon magnetic drive Quiet One pumps
- 3 x transfer pumps (aquarium sized)
- 1 x 30 GPM transfer pump Little Giant
- Related plumbing (PVC piping, fittings, and valves)
- 1 x linear piston sweet water 2 cubic feet air pump
- 10 x miscellaneous sweet water air stones
- Related Air pipes
- 7 x (7″x32″) 20-micron filter bags
- 6 cubic feet of scrub pad bio-filters
- Filter bag cleaning station
- Bead media bio-filter
- 40 breed fish from 2-5 lbs in size
- 100 Market size fish from 1 and 1/4 lb to 2 lbs
- Approximately 400-500 fingerlings at present
- 200 lbs feed
- Willing to provide some support for setup and knowledge transfer
The Nilotica brood fish strain originated in China, and are no longer available for purchase anywhere in North America. Tilapia is the most land-based farmed fish in the world, and reaches maturity at 8 – 13 months. It uses less water than any other form of aquaculture. There is a 3% discharge of water, which can be used as a source for plant food.
If you focus on raising fish, you’ll have the added benefit of an excellent source of organic nutrients for a greenhouse. If you are growing your own food in a greenhouse with aquaponics, the fish water will be a excellent nutrient rich, organic fertilizer that will increase your yield substantially. The combination of fish and aquaponics is a productive symbiotic relationship where the fish provide the nutrients, and the plants clean and oxygenate the water for the fish. The footprint of this fish farm can support 7 footprints of vegetable producing greenhouse.
Tilapia are one of the most efficient feed to food species for the production of food. Food conversion is 1:1.2, meaning that for every 1.2 pounds of food you feed a Tilapia, you will produce a pound of fish. Whereas with chickens or cattle, the ratio is more like 3:1 or 10:1, where you will feed them 3-10 pounds of feed to get one pound of meat.
This system is transportable and can be delivered within BC or Alberta.
Talapia is hardy, clean (not muddy tasting) white fleshed fish.